Aiden is now a college student What?! We spent a few days packing up his room and then loaded the car and drove straight to BYU to drop everything off. The next day, we came back and started to move him in. A few things worth remembering:
Aiden has been frustrated the past month about how much I was nagging him to do certain college prep things (have you checked about your AP credits? have you emailed your roommate? have you looked for a campus job? etc.) This is not a new dynamic. I made a conscious decision to just make a list of things that needed to be done and then leave it alone. Eventually, Aiden stepped up and got almost everything done. I need to remember this. He will do most things he needs to, just not on my time.
Aiden did not care even a little about how functional/organized his dorm room was going to be. He was fine just throwing his clothes in a bag and grabbing his phone charger. He would figure out the rest as needed. This is not how I work. I meticulously planned his room (I paid Anna Huber to go and measure the dorms) and had everything purchased and delivered weeks ahead of time. When we showed up, his bed was 5 inches shorter than I planned and I had to breath and pivot my plans. This setback didn't worry Aiden at all.
Aiden was a little hesitant about BYU, Helaman Halls, college etc. His roommate didn't arrive for several days and he started getting nervous that he had made the wrong choice to come at all. But, once Freshman orientation started, he had a dozen new friends the first day and has not looked backed since. He is loving the freedom, the social opportunities and may never get homesick. This kid is gonna love college!
Aiden was so excited about his woodworking class that he tore open the class packet as soon as we picked it up. He read all about what he was going to make, learn and try. He was very much looking forward to all of it. He is also excited about Physics.
I also helped Sydney organize her cute new house. She asked me to do this as a birthday gift. Don't ask me how long it took to get this shelf in her pantry. It is now part of the house. Also, I got to meet Jackson and go to lunch with some of Sydney's friends. It was really fun. She has a great group of people in Provo and I am so glad. She had a rough summer with her job and is so glad to be back in class with all her friends. She is happy dating Jackson and is thriving. So very proud of her.
No comments:
Post a Comment