It's been nearly two weeks since Aiden left for BYU. It has been a quiet, lonely and sad two weeks. It hasn't helped that Taylor has hardly been home (she got her license and is always gone at school. soccer, or cross country) and Brent was in Oregon with his mom for a week. At any rate, our house feels too big, too quiet, too empty. I think this transition from 2 to 1 is going to be a hard one. This feels like a shift for our family in many ways. More kids are now living outside our home than inside. Taylor doesn't need us to drive her anymore, which means we rarely have time with her. I am struggling to cook dinners (since nobody is here most of the time and Brent is so restrictive in his diet still). It now takes a few days before we have enough dishes in the dishwasher to run a load.
Of course, if our kids didn't leave home, we would have different problems. It's good that this is my struggle. I am so proud of my kids and their ability to hold jobs and succeed in college. I am so happy they are growing up into amazing people. And, I knew this was coming, which is why I started working and volunteering at the temple. I am grateful I don't just sit at home alone all day.
I know this will become a new normal and this next phase of life will not always feel so sad. But, for now, Brent and I are feeling pretty bummed. I'm just gonna go eat some ice cream and watch a sappy movie.
No comments:
Post a Comment